Sunday, May 13, 2012

Amazing Grace

As everyone knows, the song Amazing Grace is a Christian hymn. It is by far one of the most, if not the most, popular hymns.  There are over 3,200 different recordings of the song. The lyrics were written by an English poet and clergyman, John Newton. The hymn has a message that forgiveness and redemption are possible regardless of the sins that we commit.  The soul can be delivered from despair through the mercy of God.


Through some research, I discovered that the hymn is based on part of King David's prayer in I Chronicles 17:16,17: Who am I, O LORD God, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? And now, O God, in addition to everything else, you speak of giving your servant a lasting dynasty! You speak as though I were someone very great, O LORD God!" (NLT) 


It is estimated that the song is performed about 10 million times annually.  Well, yesterday, our team performed it live for the Battambang New Life Church.  I am certain it was the best rendition.  We had Emily and Billy Dale leading on the vocals.  The children LOVED it.  It was such an honor to be able to sing for the children.
It is by God's Amazing Grace that we are humbled to be a part of these children's lives.  They open their arms and their hearts to us.  They invite us to share in the love of Christ.  





Here are the lyrics that we sang:

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

T'was Grace that taught...
my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear...
the hour I first believed.

When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun.

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me....
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now, I see.

No comments:

Post a Comment